Wednesday, August 21, 2013

San Diego, California - Hodad's and Hungry Lu's

For my first post, I thought I'd talk about a few places local to me.  I live in Ocean Beach, a funky hippie neighborhood right by the ocean (and beach) in San Diego.  If you're interested in getting here, just take 8 West all the way to end, and you'll come out at Sunset Cliffs Boulevard.  The main street is Newport, and it offers lots of shops, and restaurants, and people-watching that could easily keep you entertained all afternoon.  You might think you've traveled back in time to 1973, and, in a way, you have.  There's a very long pier where you don't need a permit to fish.  It offers spectacular views of sunsets almost every evening...


Okay, let's talk food: one of the better known places here is Hodad's.  Known for their burgers, plan to wait in line, especially if you come on a weekend. 
 
The décor is pure "surfer dude / stoner", with license plates covering the walls, and surfboards for tables.  If you're lucky, you can eat in the vintage VW Bus.  Prices are very reasonable, staff is friendly, and the portions are big.  
 
A "regular" burger is 1/3 lb.  It comes with ketchup, mustard, mayo, and lots of fresh pickle, tomatoes, onion and lettuce.  If I had to compare taste of the burger to something, I'd say it's a bigger, fatter version of In-N-Out (if you're not in the mood for a big burger, order a mini - it's the size of your typical fast food burger).  One of their specialties is the Guido burger, topped with pastrami, pickles, grilled onions, and brown mustard.  I like it.  The double bacon cheeseburger could easily kill two men and a boy...
 
The fries are thick wedges, covered in a seasoning.  They remind me of the wedges served at KFC, and honestly, I'm not a big fan.  However, if you like fat, greasy, breaded onion rings (like me!), this is the place!  You can try fries and onion rings by ordering "Frings".  A half-order is plenty for two (or three) people to share... 
 
But the real hidden gems here are the milkshakes.  All the usual suspects are available: Chocolate, Vanilla and Strawberry.  We're talking huge, overflowing milkshakes, served in the mixing tin, with a scoop (yes, a scoop!) of ice cream on the edge of the tin!  This is where good milkshakes go when they die.  Here's a little secret - if you ask your server all nice-like, you can get any combination of the three flavors.  I'm a Neapolitan kinda guy, myself...


So, for a great burger and milkshake (and contact high), check out Hodad's in Ocean Beach. 

Now, onto Hungry Lu's

Being from the Midwest, growing up in a predominantly Italian neighborhood, and spending a few years on the East Coast, I've grown up with an appreciation for a good sub sandwich.  Ham, turkey, and provolone on a french roll - with some mayo, onion, and lettuce?  Yes, please!  Or, maybe a classic Italian sub?  Requesting permission to come aboard, Captain!

Except...this is California.  Now, don't get me wrong, I love it out here.  Good weather, nice people, etc., etc.  But, finding a good sub sandwich is as easy as finding a winning Powerball ticket.  When I first moved here, I asked a neighbor where the best sub sandwich was.  His answer:  Subway.  Let me repeat that:  Sub. Way (ugh).  Just the name makes me shudder.  That doesn't even count as a sub shop.  It's more of a chemical factory.  I haven't eaten at a Subway (ugh) in years.  I gave up on it because, no matter what you order, every sandwich tastes the same.  Is this a meatball or a cold-cut combo?  Who knows?  Maybe neither...

Then, I found Hungry Lu's on Voltaire Street, not far from Lucy's Tavern.  This is a family-owned sub shop and bakery, with a great offering of Italian pastries and cookies. 

Sandwiches range from $5.00 to $6.50, and are the real deal. Fresh meats and cheeses are stuffed in a freshly-baked roll.  The club (ham and turkey and bacon) and meatball subs are my favorites so far.  Here's my mom enjoying one of their sandwiches; and mom wouldn't lie:


They also serve mini pizza's for $5.00.  I'm such a fan of the sandwiches, I haven't had the courage to try a pizza, but they look great.  Actually, I'm lying.  My girlfriend ordered an "O.B. Special" - ham and pineapple, with a spicy relish on top of the pizza sauce, with a side of ranch for dipping.  After one bite, I considered eating her meal and mine, but decided that would be a selfish decision.  Seriously though, I would definitely order it.

So, back to the cookies and pastries.  Let's say you hate sub sandwiches (meaning you're an un-American commie jerk).  No problem.  Come here and try the cookies.  Especially the handmade cannoli, and the half-dipped-in-chocolate-butter cookie thing.  They will figuratively change your life. 



The owner is a very friendly guy.  He'll often give you a cookie (or two) for free while you're waiting for your sandwich. You know what my favorite kind of cookie is?  A free cookie...

Anyways, that's it for my first blog.  Thanks for reading, and leave a comment! 

More to follow soon...

No comments:

Post a Comment