Saturday, August 31, 2013

Waco, Texas: The Dr. Pepper Museum, Jasper's BBQ, Whataburger, and Willie Nelson...

A few years ago, I was fortunate enough to have a job that sent me to parts of the country I might not have visited otherwise.  Waco, Texas, is one of those places.

Before I write anything else, I have to add that I can't find the thumb drive with my pictures, so hopefully those will be added tonight.

Anyways, I had the good fortune to spend a significant amount of time in Waco.  I'd fly into the Dallas / Ft. Worth airport, pick up my rental car, and take 35W straight down.  Driving in Dallas always makes me nervous (and this is coming from a guy who lived in D.C. for 7 years).  Traffic is non-stop, and it seems like it's always rush hour.  1 p.m. - it's rush hour.  2:30 a.m. - still rush hour.  And there's always a semi, teetering over the lane divider, right next to you...

But then, you find 35 (E or W, it doesn't matter.  The roads eventually intersect, and get you to Waco), and it's a different world.  It's what you'd imagine driving through Texas to be - a big, open highway, flat, green plains, and a big, open sky to match.  There is nothing quite like the open sky in Texas.  The sun is shining, and it's a beautiful drive.  It's about a two hour drive to Waco.  Time to put on some Willie Nelson or Johnny Cash, and enjoy the ride...

Speaking of Willie Nelson, one of my favorite places to stop and eat was in Carl's Corner, called Willie's Place.  This was a truck stop / restaurant partially owned by Willie Nelson.  It was a big, clean restaurant with friendly waitresses, Willie Nelson memorabilia on the wall, and his music was playing.  The food was Texas-friendly (BBQ, fried, etc.), served in Texas-sized portions.  I can personally vouch for the very good chicken-fried steak, sweet tea, and one of the best peach cobblers around.  Rumor has it Willie himself would stop in from time to time.  I'm not sure if it's true, but it looks like it's no longer in business.  If this is the case, I'm sorry to see it go.


Then, you're in Waco.  Home to Baylor University, this is a quaint, little college town with a 1900's feel to it...

It's also the birthplace of (in my opinion) the greatest soda ever made:  Dr. Pepper.  The original Dr. Pepper factory has since been converted into a museum


It's a nice afternoon visit that tells you the history of Dr. Pepper (and other sodas).  As you walk through the exhibits, you might learn an interesting thing or two.  I'm ashamed to admit that I never knew the distinct flavor is a combination of 23 different fruit flavors.


I really enjoyed the replica of the original Dr. Pepper Soda Shoppe at the end.  The beverage is mixed by hand in front of you, as it would have been back in the day.  I thought it tasted significantly better than the canned version, but maybe I was caught up in the moment...


Based on recommendations, I've tried several barbeque places in Waco.  The one that stood out was called Jasper's Bar-B-Que.  It's been around since 1915, so they must be doing something right.  Basically a white shack, this place is fairly bare bones - tables with rolls of paper towels for napkins, and food served on paper plates.


But, when it comes to barbeque, I let the food, not the décor, do the talking.  What made this unique for me was that meat is served by the pound.  With choices of beef, sausage, bologna, chicken and ribs, you can order a combination that adds up to a pound.  I tried sausage, bologna (my first time trying bbq'd bologna) and ribs.  Meals are served with a few slices of white bread, two sides ( I tried potato salad and baked beans), and a salad of onions and pickles.

Texas BBQ is a little more mesquite and peppered than I would like, and the sauce is thinner than I prefer.  Again, I like the sweeter Memphis style; but I do recommend Jasper's.  Of the meats I had, the bologna was (surprisingly) my favorite, and the ribs hit the spot.  The sausage was a little spicier than I expected, so I don't think I'd order it again.  The sides were decent, but the meats definitely stood out.  The portions were very generous, and the prices reasonable.

Moving along, regional chains aren't as common as they used to be, but the few that are left are a welcomed break from McDonald's and Burger King.  On the West Coast, we have the infamous In-N-Out Burger, The Midwest and New England have White Castle, my hometown has Swenson's, and the South has Whataburger.  The East Coast used to have a lock on Five Guys, but the company has expanded nationwide, so I'll say they've got Roy Rogers...

Anyways, the reason I mention those regional places is this:  It's all about what you grew up with.  Whatever chain you associate with growing up - that is, most likely, the best burger (pizza, ice cream, whatever) you can think of - kind of like how nothing beats your mom's cooking.  Unfortunately, those memories don't always translate to new, older customers. 

When I heard the fanaticism for Whataburger from the locals, (which I'd seen in Florida and Texas, but never stopped to try), I couldn't wait to take a bite... 


I had the double meat Whataburger with cheese, fries and a coke.  The burger was...good, but not the mind-blowing experience I'd hoped for.  I'd describe it as a significantly better version of the Whopper, with bigger, better quality meat patties, and fresher toppings.  The fries didn't do it for me (too salty).  I understand Whataburger is known for their proprietary ketchup, and was surprised that no ketchup dispenser exists - only the packets they give you (similar to sauce packets for McNuggets).  It tasted like Heinz to me, so I wasn't too impressed with that, either.

Would I recommend it?  Well, it's definitely a few notches above the standard places, so yes.  Given the choice between McDonald's and Whataburger, Whataburger wins, hands down.  Change McDonald's to Five Guys, and I'd choose Five Guys...

Keep in mind that I would consider Swenson's (from my hometown) to be one of the Top 5 burgers in the country (Forbes magazine considered it the "Best in America" in 1999 - just saying...).  After spouting heaps of praise on it, I brought some friends from out of state to try it.  Their review:  "meh".  Like I said, it's all about what you grew up with...

We've got plenty more places to see, things to do, and places to eat!  Stick around...

No comments:

Post a Comment