Monday, August 26, 2013

Richmond, Virginia - Buz and Ned's: The Best BBQ Ever, and the Confederate White House.

Welcome back!  Tonight I'm talking about food that's near and dear to my heart: Barbecue (in my world, Barbecue is always capitalized - like a country, or proper noun).

I've had BBQ all over the country, but I have to say that my time in Virginia was the peak.  Before I say anything else, as you might know, there are several different types of BBQ - for example, you've got a mesquite style in Texas, Carolina style, with a mustard and vinegar-based sauce, and Memphis style, with a sweet, smoky sauce.  I prefer the Memphis-style, which is pretty much how it's made in Virginia.

My quest for the "best BBQ ever" led me to Richmond, Virginia.  Richmond is a great city to visit, especially if you're a Civil War buff.  The city feels like it's stuck halfway between 1862 and now.  I don't mean that as a negative comment.  For example, right next to a hospital is the Museum and White House of the Confederacy. This is the place where Jefferson Davis ran the show:



Whether you approve of a museum for the confederacy or not, it houses an amazing collection of Civil War artifacts, along with quite a few of Jefferson Davis' personal artifacts.  Plus, it's interesting to see the Civil War from the South's perspective...

So, while you're in Richmond and craving some BBQ, why not check out Buz and Ned's?  It's near the Diamond (AAA baseball stadium), and it looks sketchy from the outside.  Like an outdoor tent from a BBQ festival, connected to a general store:


And, you might want to eat outside.  The inside is small and crammed.  You'll find yourself getting up (to pick up your order, or get refills), and bumping into people that weren't there a second ago.

The food:  The ribs are amazing, and portions are huge (i.e., shareable).  Seriously, this is where ribs (baby back and beef) go when they die.  Here's the owner showing off his wares:

 

The beef ribs look like something from the Flintstones.  They tend to be fattier than pork, but one or two of these should fill you up.  The baby back ribs are 'juicy, smoky, lean, and meaty.  The meat is smoked, and the sauce is thick and sweet (but, not too sweet).  It's a perfect complement to the meat.

Unfortunate, the sides didn't "wow" me, but if I had to recommend anything, I'd say go with the coleslaw, hush puppies, or baked beans. 

I made the two-hour drive from Arlington, VA several times, and it was definitely worth it.  I've never had barbecue like this anywhere else.  In my opinion, this is the best barbecue in America!

Agree?  Disagree?  Let me know.  Thanks!

No comments:

Post a Comment